The first alternative I tried were the infamous cauliflower mashed potatoes. They really weren't that bad, I could eat them, but they were not anywhere close to divine!
The search continues . . .
I fell across this recipe on Pinterest for white bean mashed potatoes. My husband and I have become bean eaters. It took us awhile to get used to them, but now we really enjoy them in several meals. So, I thought I should go ahead and give this recipe a try.
I did, and wow they are amazing. I seriously think they taste better then our usual mashed potatoes. My husband and I were very impressed. Who would have thought that white beans in mashed potatoes could be so delicious.
White Bean Mashed Potatoes
5 medium sized potatoes
1 can of white cannellini beans
Celery leaves (optional)
1. Peel your potatoes if you want to (I don't peel mine because the skin is where all of the nutrients are at)
2. Cut your potatoes into even little squares
3. Boil your potato squares and can of white beans (you don't need to drain the beans before you dump them in) for about 15 minutes (until they are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork
4. I added a couple celery leaves into the water to add a little bit of extra flavor (you will want to take these out before you mash them
5. Drain the water from your potatoes and beans
6.Mash the potatoes and beans up
7.Season with your favorite seasoning
I paired the mashed potatoes with some sautéed celery, onion, and chicken, yum!
Do you ever watch Netflix or Hulu while you are cooking? I do it all of the time.
My husband put some barbeque on his.
If you try this recipe let me know how you like it or if find another carb loaded mashed potato substitute that is healthy and delicious, let me know!